Apply for this job
||Senior Commercial Manager – Civils
Senior Commercial Manager
My client a leading energy provider is looking to engage a Senior Commercial Manager to join them at their site a HPC Bridgwater. Reporting to a Commercial Lead, you will typically be responsible for a contract(s) between £100 - £400m in value subject to level of risk or complexity within the Main Civil Works area. The Senior Commercial Manager will typically lead a commercial team of up to 10 people.
Nature and Scope
The Senior Supply Chain Manager is a key role within the HPC Supply Chain Group with accountability to the Supply Chain Lead for the successful commercial delivery of one or more contracts. As such the Senior Supply Chain Manager is empowered to make decisions around the Principle Accountability areas, under the overall guidance of the above and in accordance with delegated levels of authority.
The Senior Supply Chain Manager will be the primary point of commercial contact on the contract/s assigned to them and will be required to work closely and pro-actively with the other stakeholders at all levels and across all the teams within HPC to ensure that the requirements of the individual contracts and their impact upon the overall HPC Project are successfully delivered.
• Supporting the Supply Chain Lead, the Senior Supply Chain Manager will develop a Commercial Team including establishing clear roles, responsibilities & accountabilities
• Effectively & efficiently manage the work of the function, in compliance with internal & external mandatory requirements
• Ensure all Principal Accountabilities for the contract commercial team are implemented in accordance with HPC commercial procedures
• Adopt the role of the Intelligent Customer ensuring that stakeholder needs & expectations are met with regard to commercial probity, value & that the supply chain is treated fairly & equitably
• Ensure people are aware of the needs of a strong nuclear safety culture
• Lead in assessing & engaging with the supply chain based on collaborative working principles & applying the skills of supporting, coaching, enabling & facilitating team members through change & creating more leaders & change champions thereby building and maintaining effective relationships with key stakeholders.
• For the procurement phase provide Support to the procurement process & Commercial Lead including participating in the development of the Project Contract Strategy & reviewing the need & proposed procurement route for all Project Contracts. This will include ensuring that the procurement programme for each contract is aligned to the Integrated Work Schedule & that adequate time is allowed for an effective procurement process leading to contract signature
• Be responsible for correct administration of Vendor Assessment, information exchange via procurement electronic portal tools, along with ITT preparation, evaluation & negotiation, ensuring that selected tenders are compliant with the scope & commercial requirements
• Be responsible for compliance with the procurement management arrangements & procedures. Key areas of this governance will be to ensure that the nuclear safety & quality controls embedded in the procurement procedures are complied with & that investment papers are produced & submitted to the delegated authority for review and approval.
• For the execution phase the SSCM will have responsibility for leading & managing the execution phase of each contract including providing an overview of the individual contracts to ensure compatibility & alignment with other projects including fundamental matters such as: Scope of Work/Services & Associated Programme; Prices & Rates Schedules; Key Personnel & Arrangements for Contract Administration, incentive arrangements.
• Oversee contract commercial relationships. Work with collaborative behaviours in a spirit of mutual trust & cooperation.
• Seek to achieve ‘win-win, equitable commercial outcomes for all parties to facilitate early commercial close out. The SSCM is accountable for ensuring that all commercial activities are conducted throughout execution of the contract in accordance with NNB Commercial Procedures.
• Responsibilities under the approved Supply Chain Policy managing contracts & being a direct interface with the supply chain to ensure an embedded nuclear safety culture; the right level of oversight, control & surveillance of contractor activities are set up in HPC & the supply chain.
• In the closeout phase The SSCM will have responsibility & accountability for managing the close out phase of each contract.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Member of the RICS / CICES / IOB or equivalent professional body is (Essential)
• Educated to degree level (Essential)
• Effective commercial / contract management skills, with clear knowledge of best practice contract methodologies
• Possesses skills to act as deputy
• Able to demonstrate a considerable track record of administering successful contracts
• Highly developed commercial skills and demonstrable ability to make sound decisions on matters of significant financial value
• Good understanding of contract performance measurement, risk management and change and claim management
• Track record with most common Forms of Contract (NEC & FIDIC) within the power construction industry and major projects and programme environment; with particular knowledge of UK Law and its impact upon the contract and commercial function is essential
• Familiar with the nuclear site licence conditions and the nuclear baseline philosophy
• Good understanding of the UK regulatory framework
Additional information about the process
We have been working with our client for ten years and supporting their award-winning approach to diversity and inclusion. Awards include The Times Top 50 Employers for Women, the Gender European Equality Standard 2016, Stonewall Equality Index Top 100 Employers, NatWest LGBT Business Award, BITC – Best Employers for Race and the National Equality Standard. Together we believe that a culture of inclusion forms the basis of a truly sustainable business and is a vital component in shaping a strong, fresh-thinking organisation, where the workforce is a true reflection of the communities and customers that they serve
As part of our process, every endeavour is made to promote and accommodate flexible working and we would welcome applications from those meeting the skills and attributes required.
If you meet the skills and attributes required, please outline any flexible working requirements with your application.
I can be contacted on 01628 566112 or Amanda.McLaren@capita.co.uk where we can talk further or simply apply via the website.