Apply for this job
||Commercial Lead (Permanent)
At Capita, we support clients across a range of sectors, including local Government, central Government, education, transport, health, life and pensions, insurance and other private sector organisations. We support with expertise applied by the talent across our business in combination with technology, insight and analytics to keep our clients ahead of change, sharper than competitors and more efficient than ever – and we always need new talent to help us achieve our goals.
Client is an integrated energy company in the United Kingdom, with operations spanning electricity generation and the sale of gas and electricity to homes and businesses throughout the United Kingdom. It employs 13,331 people and handles 5.7 million customer accounts.
The Commercial Lead – Main Civil Works Contract is responsible for managing a commercial team in the successful delivery of all pre and post contract commercial issues.
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Lead - Civils and providing commercial services to the Programme Director and Programme Manager.
Primary point of commercial contact for the portfolio of contracts and required to work closely and pro-actively with the other stakeholders at all levels and across all the teams within HPC to ensure that the requirements of the Project and their impact upon the overall HPC Project are successfully delivered.
Contribute to the multi-disciplinary team as a Senior Management Team Member.
The Commercial Lead will typically lead a commercial team of 10-30 people.
• Ensure that all members of the team are aware of their individual and collective responsibilities in relation to health and safety.
• Ensure that all Principal Accountabilities for the Commercial Team are implemented in accordance with HPC commercial procedures.
• Establish an effective commercial and supply chain strategy to enable delivery of successful requirements.
• Ensuring that all Principal Accountabilities for the Commercial Team are implemented in accordance with HPC commercial procedures.
• Establish clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for each member of the team.
• Apply the skills of supporting, coaching, enabling and facilitating to create and develop more leaders.
• Develop individual and collective leadership skills and develop non-technical skills: interpersonal, team and relationship.
• Effectively and efficiently manage the work of the function, in compliance with internal and external mandatory requirements.
• Engagement where necessary with the UK regulators (ONR / EA / CNS).
• Adopt the role of Intelligent Customer ensuring that stakeholder needs and expectations are met.
• Establish effective methods to learn from experience and to mitigate future risks.
• Ensure the strategy for collaborative working is followed in all phases of the project.
• Engage proactively with other stakeholders at all levels.
• Demonstrable ability to make sound decisions on matters of high financial value.
• Lead the development of the contract strategy and the proposed procurement route for all contracts.
• Negotiate terms and conditions ensuring HPC commercial position is protected and that any amendments are compliant with governance.
• Develop a procurement and commercial team appropriate to the scale and phase of the contract/portfolio of contracts.
• Responsible for the commercial management and administration of contracts in accordance with contract requirements (NEC3 and FIDIC) and corporate governance; to include, but without limit to, Notices and Instructions, Applications, Invoicing and Payment, Variations and Changes, Disputes and Claims, Delays, Extensions of Time, Force Majeure and Liquidated Damages, Bonds and Guarantees, Progress Monitoring and Financial Reviews.
• Manage all commercial correspondence and contractual notices issued in accordance with the contract conditions and Commercial Procedures.
• Develop an Application for Payment process which meets governance and the requirements of internal and external stakeholders.
• Develop a Programme commercial review process which examines and evaluates all commercial and contract matters, Lead and be responsible for the output of such review process.
• Develop a function commercial review process and act as a Senior Member of same testing and challenging the veracity of the commercial reports.
• Member of the Programme Board and represent Supply Chain on the Programme Board.
• Direct and advise on all matters of change. Member of Programme Change Board.
• Attend and lead Programme review meetings.
• Lead on all matters of commercial governance, to include, but without limit to, Gateway Reviews, Hold Points, PRODEM, CODEM.
• Prepare papers and present matters to the Project and Holdco Boards.
• Lead on all matters of commercial risk. Recommend mitigating actions on all commercial risk events at the earliest possible time.
• Liaise with Project Controls and direct on Budget, Forecast, Progress, Cost, Outturn Cost.
• Lead the provision of information to Programme and Project Audits by internal and external parties.
• Lead on all matters of the resolution or prosecution of matters of claims, disputes or differences.
• Liaise with internal stakeholders to include, but without limit to, Finance, Legal, PMO, Executive, CVAT Credit Risk.
• Manage Contractor commercial relationships, in particular liaise with the Contractor Senior Management to promote the achievement of all Project goals.
• Engage with, and gain the professional respect the UK Regulators.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
• Member of the RICS or equivalent professional body is essential.
• Educated to degree level is essential
• Able to demonstrate an extensive track record of working as part of a Project Senior Management Team and managing Commercial Teams and administering successful multi billion pound contracts.
• Effective Commercial Management and Leadership skills, with clear knowledge of best practice contract methodologies in the UK environment.
• Highly developed commercial skills and demonstrable ability to make sound decisions on matters of high financial value.
• Proven understanding of procurement, contract performance measurement, risk management and change and claim management.
• Good negotiating, influencing and communication skills to command professional respect at all levels.
• Proven experience with most common Forms of Contract (NEC & FIDIC) within the power construction industry and major projects and programme environment; with particular knowledge of UK Law and its impact upon the contract and commercial function is essential.
• Familiar with the nuclear site licence conditions and the nuclear baseline philosophy.
• Good understanding of the UK regulatory framework.
• Good understanding of UK and international supply chain management.
Additional information about the process
Commercial Lead (Permanent)
Job Type: Permanent
Contact Details: Charlotte Williams – email@example.com –
NuclearWorks welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation. NuclearWorks is a trading name of Capita Business Services Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business.