Apply for this job
||Media Relations Manager
||Central and South East
||Radioactive Waste Management
||176.00-176.00 GBP per day
Title: Media Relations Manager
Location: Didcot, Oxford
Rate: £176 per day inside of IR35
Job Type: Contract,
Duration: 12 months
Contact details: Natalie Mohamed – 07548 712 554
Capita Resourcing is the strategic resourcing business within Capita plc. We are the chosen provider of agency workers and permanent recruitment for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) collaborative framework, across nuclear sites and offices UK wide.
Purpose of Role
Media Relations Manager
Nuclear technology has been a part of our lives for more than 60 years and is used in power generation, industry, medicine, and defence. These activities have created radioactive waste which needs to be managed safely.
Now, my client is part of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority group, is working to deal with the most hazardous radioactive waste by providing leading-edge solutions and delivering a Geological Disposal Facility (GDF).
A GDF is a network of highly-engineered underground vaults and tunnels built to permanently dispose of radioactive waste. It is internationally recognised as the best long-term solution, and is the chosen approach in countries including Sweden, Finland, Canada, and France, with some of these countries well on the way to constructing their own GDFs.
They are strengthening our communications and stakeholder relations directorate to support company’s mission.
They are looking for a confident, creative, and experienced media relations lead to build relationships with journalists and achieve positive coverage across national, specialist, and regional media.
In a vitally important role, you will develop the company’s strategic approach to media relations, deliver proactive media plans, and be a key contact for questions from journalists.
With my client at the very start of the process to find a site for a GDF in the UK - which requires the support of a host community – now is an incredibly exciting time to join the team.
Scope of job
This is a great opportunity to help strengthen my client’s media operation and design and deliver plans which will promote the organisation’s role and mission.
Working within the media team and leads at NDA and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, you will develop our strategic media relations approach. You will lead the delivery of innovative, creative, and robust plans.
You will help strengthen the media function – ranging from media training, to making sure we have the right resources and tools in place to effectively manage and respond to questions from a range of media. You will also provide expert counsel and briefing for client’s leaders on media issues.
They are a small team, so as well as leading on all things media, you’ll have opportunities to support activity across a range of communications disciplines.
They want someone with proven experience of developing and delivering successful media relations campaigns, and the ability to foster and maintain good relations with a wide range of people.
Qualifications, experience and skills
• Significant experience and success in media campaign management.
• Significant experience and success in managing reactive media.
• Significant experience of planning media relations activity, including collaborating effectively with stakeholder communications teams.
• Able to develop and deliver engaging, innovative and creative approaches to communicating complex ideas in a simple way.
• Able to communicate and influence with empathy at all levels.
• Outstanding writing and presentation skills.
• Good first degree or equivalent professional qualification.
• Desirable, experience and success across a range of communications disciplines, including social media.
• Desirable, chartered status membership of a relevant professional institute preferred.
• Desirable, knowledge of the political system and workings of Government at UK, regional and local level.
Duties and responsibilities
• With media colleagues, lead the development and implementation of the companie’s media strategy.
• Develop and deliver media plans to raise positive awareness of GDF.
• Manage queries from media, and support out of hours function.
• Build and strengthen RWM’s media function, including developing new processes, embedding new tools, and overseeing media forward planning.
• Develop and maintain strong functional links with the NDA’s and BEIS’s media teams to ensure consistency, synergy and efficiency.
• Develop and maintain strong internal relationships with RWM colleagues to provide full visibility of organisational activity and share your expertise.
• Support the full range of communications activity across the team.
Additional information about the process
This role has been deemed in-scope of IR35
NuclearWorks welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation. NuclearWorks is a trading name of Capita Business Services Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business.