Apply for this job
||Head of Safety
||385.00-437.50 GBP per day
Title: Head of Safety
Location: Oldbury near Thornbury
Rate: £385 - £437.50 per day depending on experience
Job Type: Contract,
Duration: 12 months
Contact details: Natalie Mohamed – 07548 712 554
Capita Resourcing is the strategic resourcing business within Capita plc. We are the chosen provider of agency workers and permanent recruitment for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) collaborative framework, across nuclear sites and offices UK wide.
Purpose of Role
Effective management of the section and delivery of a legally / company compliant service to the Site and Projects.
• As an effective Manager/ Team Leader, the post holder will be responsible for People Management, Performance Management, Control and Supervision, Communications, Resource Management and Management of Systems and Processes.
• Assign tasks to the team members ensuring they are Suitably Qualified and Experienced (SQEP) to carry out such tasks.
• Responsible for team/ individual development plans and ensuring training is carried out.
• Ensure all team members receive the support necessary to both understand and contribute to achieving the objectives of the Department Lifetime Plan.
• Regularly undertake team briefings to ensure staff are well informed regarding both technical and administrative matters concerning the execution of their responsibilities.
• Design, delivery and evaluation of training, acting as coach and mentor.
• Develop policies and arrangements for compliance with industrial safety, emergency planning and operational experience feedback statutory and company requirements as required.
• Provide authoritative advice to the Site on industrial safety, emergency planning and operational experience feedback as required.
• Provide assurance of the adequacy of safety arrangements through audit, inspections, investigation of events and self-assessment reviews.
• Support the interface with the relevant Regulator or external authorities.
• Develop an integrated management system incorporating conventional safety, including CDM and related Site Licence requirements reflecting Company and Statutory requirements and industry best practice.
• Gain and maintain required regulatory approvals and external certification as appropriate.
• Promote effective Health and Safety standards with a positive staff culture for continuous improvement.
• Ensure that safety publicity and campaigns are developed and deliver to promote awareness and improvement.
• Maintain OHSAS 18001 as appropriate.
• Co-ordinate the competence assessment of persons listed in the baseline arrangements.
• Confirm that contract safety personnel are SQEP for the roles they are to undertake on Site.
• Assist with any other duties commensurate with the grade and range of the post.
• Ensure sufficient suitably qualified and experienced people are available for the Site to operate effectively and discharge its legal and contractual obligations.
• Ensure personal and professional development and training of safety staff to deliver an effective and suitably qualified and experienced Function.
• Ensure that effective and compliant safety standards and procedures are embedded into the Site and provide high level advice on their implementation.
• Ensure effective communication within the Function/Site.
• Set targets, monitor performance and take action as necessary to maintain safety standards and improve performance.
• Identify good practice in performance at sites and externally, and promote and deploy across the Functions/Sites.
• Provide and maintain arrangements for the effective recording, reporting and investigation of events and the promulgation of identified learning across the Site
• Provide expert-level advice, support and guidance on safety issues throughout the Site.
• Member of the EHSS&Q Site lead team.
• Act for the Site EHSS&Q Manager as directed.
• Responsible for managing the relevant aspects of the Detail Volume, SPI/CPI, and commercial and financial aspects and delivery of the lifetime plan.
• The post holder may be required to be a member of, and participate in, the Site Emergency Scheme subject to any fitness standards required.
• Comply with the Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality policies, procedures, work instructions and risk assessments. Support the continuous improvement of Health, Safety Environment and Quality on Site.
• As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within his or her range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
• Undertake baseline roles as required.
• Contribute to the effective development and delivery of training within own area of specialism.
Education / Qualifications / Training
Educated to NQF level 6 / NVQ Level 6 (or equivalent in a post related subject)
Member of a relevant professional institute
Diploma or equivalent in relevant specialism. E.g. NEBOSH
Relevant experience in specialism related roles
Experience at a nuclear site or other high hazard industry in own specialism
Experience in dealing with HSE
Detailed knowledge of the Radioactive Substances Act/ Environmental Permitting Regulations.
Detailed knowledge of International / ISO Standards
Detailed knowledge of obligations for compliance with OEF standards and learning process as appropriate
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD ON 16TH OCTOBER 2019 FOR SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES
Additional information about the process
This role has been deemed inscope of IR
NuclearWorks welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation. NuclearWorks is a trading name of Capita Business Services Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business.