Apply for this job
||Environmental Assessments Specialist
||Central and South East
||Radioactive Waste Management
RWM’s mission is to deliver a geological disposal facility (GDF) for the UK’s higher activity radioactive waste and provide radioactive waste management solutions.
RWM is currently in the early stages of the GDF siting process and is developing approaches to environmental and sustainability assessments that will be needed to support initial site evaluation, and related permitting and consents work for subsequent detailed site characterisation.
As well as the preparatory siting work RWM also maintains a suite of generic environmental and sustainability assessments and supports the radioactive waste packaging process by assessing the non-radiological implications of packaging proposals from waste producers.
This Contract is to provide additional resource in RWM’s Research and Environment function in order to deliver scope related to these technical work areas.
• Responsible for acting as Intelligent Client for work in the appropriate environmental technical disciplines.
• Intelligent client for non-radiological input to radioactive waste disposability assessments, in accordance with RWM procedures.
• Identification and specification of environmental and sustainability assessment requirements.
• Contributes to environmental aspects of site identification, evaluation and selection.
• Responsible for interfacing with colleagues within RWM to ensure environmental and sustainability issues are appropriately identified and addressed during the GDF siting process.
• The Environmental Assessments Specialist will be involved in a number of tasks to support load balancing of the Research and Environment function including:
• the production of initial site evaluations and reports, focusing on environmental constraints and opportunities
• development of RWM’s approach to EIA and Habitats Regulations Assessment work required for a Development Consent Application for deep boreholes as part of the detailed site characterisation phase of the GDF siting process. This work will feed into the development of RWM’s Near Term Work Programme and will include benchmarking the scope and cost of the work.
• the development of RWM’s environmental monitoring and management strategy
• the development of RWM’s approach to assessing and tracking ‘community well-being’
• non-radiological environmental assessments of packaging proposals
The Environmental Assessments Specialist shall:
• Have an awareness of RWM including its role and mission.
• Have excellent report writing and communication skills (both to a technical and non-technical audience).
• Be able to obtain the relevant security clearance (essential).
• Work in the RWM Harwell office alongside RWM staff and follow RWM’s quality, and where relevant business management, arrangements.
To fulfil this role, the candidate should be competent in the following areas
• Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
• Habitats Regulations Assessment
• Health Impact Assessment (HIA) and Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA)
• Transport Assessment (TA)
• Non-radiological Environmental Assessment
• Baseline surface data collection and forecasting
Additional information about the process
Environmental Assessments Specialist
Job Type: Contract
Duration: 6 Months+
Contact details: Charlotte Williams - 07599 548238 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Capita Resourcing is the strategic resourcing business within Capita plc. We are the chosen provider of agency workers and permanent recruitment for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) collaborative framework, across nuclear sites and offices UK wide.
NuclearWorks welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation. NuclearWorks is a trading name of Capita Business Services Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
This contract has been deemed inside of scope IR35