Apply for this job
||Mechanical Design Engineer
||National Nuclear Laboratory
||42.00-42.00 GBP per hour
The Windscale Project Engineering Delivery Team provides multi-discipline project engineering support to active nuclear and non-active projects to be implemented in the Windscale Laboratory. The team cover all aspects of the project engineering stages; scope, planning, concept design, detail design, manufacture, safety case, testing, safe system of work production, installation, and commissioning. Our expertise includes the supply of research and development rigs for non-active use, operational rigs for use in a nuclear environment, and infrastructure improvements to the Windscale Laboratory.
The role of Mechanical Project Engineer is to provide engineering expertise to enable:-
• The design, build, testing, development, commissioning and on-site installation of active rigs and analytical equipment to support scientific research and development work in the nuclear industry.
• The modifications of existing active and non-active nuclear facilities (e.g. for infrastructure improvements, changes in process requirements etc).
• The troubleshooting / fault finding of existing nuclear equipment and plant as required.
• Accountable to the Facility Engineering Delivery Manager; for allocated mechanical or multi discipline engineering projects , following the NNL project delivery procedure and working with an NNL project manager, produce scope of works, estimates for cost/schedule, and project plans for the project.
• Interface with customers, key stakeholders, and contractors, working in the Windscale Laboratory.
• Work alongside project / programme managers to ensure that work is delivered to meet time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
• Produce purchasing specifications, assess tender documents and select suitable contractors for project contracts, progressing the NNL procurement process throughout contract lifecycle to ensure delivery of a quality product.
• Working with internal and external designers, and in accordance with the NNL Technical Manual produce concept, preliminary, and detail designs to site and statutory regulations.
• Ensure compliance with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the project.
• Liaising with commissioning teams, safety assessors, facilities personnel, project stakeholders and other scientific/engineering disciplines as required providing fit for purpose engineered solutions.
• Where required produce working instructions, risk assessment, quality plans, commissioning sheets, and maintenances instructions in accordance with statutory and site requirements.
• Work with Persons Organising Work (POW’s) to prepare work packs for installation and commissioning of equipment.
• Where required and with training produce CE marking, PUWER, LOLER, and/or pressure regulations assessments.
• Produce handover documentation. Record and archive project and technical files in accordance with NNL procedures.
• Provide technical expertise and guidance on issues appropriate to their discipline.
• Degree / HND in Mechanical Engineering or closely related subject and a high level of experience in mechanical engineering.
• Experience working in the nuclear sector
• Knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, quality and environmental requirements relating to engineering development projects.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to enable ideas and concepts to be clearly communicated to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
• Proven track record of problem solving and seeking solutions.
• Proficient in the use of 2D or 3D CAD design packages.
• Experience of producing PMP’s, Design Justification Reports / Memo’s, and attending multidiscipline HAZOP reviews.
• Proven track record of working with contractors and the external goods and services supply chain.
• Strong leadership qualities.
• Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
• Questioning attitude.
• Excellent organisational and planning skills.
Additional information about the process
Mechanical Design Engineer x 2
Location: Seascale, Cumbria
Salary: £42ph Umbrella or PAYE
Job Type: Contract
Job Duration: 12 months
Contact details: Charlotte Williams – firstname.lastname@example.org – 07599 548238
This role has been deemed inside of scope of IR35.
Capita Resourcing is the strategic resourcing business within Capita plc. We are the chosen provider of agency workers and permanent recruitment for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) collaborative framework, across nuclear sites and offices UK wide.
NuclearWorks welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation. NuclearWorks is a trading name of Capita Business Services Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business.